Mara S. Georges
Mara Georges focuses her practice on state and local governmental issues, including zoning, land use and planning, government relations, and economic and business development and incentives. Mara provides counsel to corporations and individuals with matters before government boards, commissions, agencies and legislatures. She also advises on legislative development, regulatory affairs and public to private sector partnerships.
Mara has been recognized, among other honors, as an Illinois Super Lawyer, as one of the “100 Most Powerful Women in Chicago” by the Chicago Sun-Times, and as one of the “Ten Most Influential Women Lawyers in Illinois” by American Lawyer Media.
Before becoming a partner at Georges & Synowiecki, Mara served the City of Chicago in various legal roles. Throughout her time with the City, she managed disparate interests with an eye toward the needs of the City, and she brings that same focus to her clients at the firm. Mara served over 12 years as the City's longest-serving corporation counsel. She was responsible for the City's law department of 300 lawyers in practices as diverse as civil and quasi-criminal litigation, contracts, environmental, taxation, bond issues, real estate transactions and other municipal matters. She was the City's senior advisor on legal and policy issues and worked collaboratively with the Mayor, members of the City Council and the City's departments, agencies and commissioners.
Prior to her tenure at the City, Mara was a litigation partner at Rock, Fusco, Reynolds, Crowe & Garvey, Ltd. and after leaving the City, a real estate partner at Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP.
A prolific speaker, Mara has appeared before the National Association of Women Lawyers, the Black Women Lawyers' Association, the Illinois Municipal League, the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education and many other organizations.
Mara is an active supporter of the Loyola University Chicago School of Law and has been on its Board of Governors and Circle of Advocates. She is on the boards of the Chicago Police Memorial Foundation and the Menomonee Club for Boys and Girls.
- Loyola University Chicago, School of Law, J.D.
- University of Notre Dame, B.A.
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- Chicago Bar Association
- Hearing Board Member, Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission
Honors and Recognition
- Illinois Institute for Local Government Law, Annual Distinguished Service Award (2011)
- International Municipal Lawyers Association, Joseph I. Mulligan, Jr. Distinguished Public Service Award (2011)
- Illinois Super Lawyer
- “Leading Lawyers”
- “Best Lawyers”
- “100 Most Powerful Women in Chicago,” Chicago Sun-Times
- “Forty Illinois Attorneys Under 40 to Watch,” Chicago Daily Law Bulletin
- “Forty Under 40,” Crain's Chicago Business
- “Ten Most Influential Women Lawyers in Illinois,” American Lawyer Media
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating of AV-Preeminent